Our mission is to help families break out of the cycle of poverty. For 77 years, Mainspring Schools has led Austin’s effort to provide quality early childhood education, nutrition and support services to underserved families in the community.
We are a NAEYC-accredited, nonprofit preschool that partners with United Way, AISD, Workforce Solutions, Early Head Start and numerous foundations to make sure that our kids are prepared for kindergarten socially, emotionally and educationally and that their families are in the best position for future success.
We are looking for an Education Director to supervise our wonderful teachers, implement our curriculum and approach and manage all classroom environments. With 28 total team members (serving nearly 100 kids), we all pitch in where needed, but your focus would be on facilitating the great work of our teaching staff and making sure that our kids get the best early education in Austin.
Here is what you would do:
- Supervise all classroom, floater and substitute teachers, as well as special instructors
- Support the School Director on all teacher hiring and orientation
- Oversee teacher scheduling
- Administer regular staff reviews
- Spend considerable time in the classrooms, both working with kids and shadowing, mentoring, coaching, modeling, supporting and observing teachers
- Collaborate with the School Director on establishing and implementing the school's curriculum and approach in the classrooms
- Facilitate teacher training (curriculum, approach, standard operating procedures) and overall professional development
- Keep abreast of research and development in the field of early childhood development
- Manage classroom environments and educational resources
- Guide student assessments, including special needs assessments and referrals
- Assist School Director with compliance with childcare licensing, NAEYC, Texas Rising Star, Early Head Start and AISD
- Represent Mainspring at occasional community meetings
- Open the school building
- Report to the School Director
We are looking for someone who:
- Loves kids!
- Wants the best for our kids, families, staff and community
- Shows a passion for education and a strong commitment to communication
- Is capable of directly supervising a large, diverse teaching staff
- Will develop collaborative, respectful and communicative relationships
- Can balance the needs of the kids, teachers and school
- Can make hard decisions on a regular basis
- Has the ability to provide updates and guidance to parents
- Will maintain confidential information
- Displays dependability and an even-keeled sensibility
- Has experience leading an early childhood education classroom (ages 0-5)
- Has knowledge of various early childhood curricula (e.g. Montessori, Waldorf, High Scope) and approaches (e.g. Conscious Discipline, Trust-Based Relational Intervention)
- Has a Bachelors degree or relevant certification
- Is willing to pitch in everywhere, no matter the task
- Is able to pass a required background check
Management experience is a plus; however, we are willing to bring on someone who shows high potential.
Here is what we offer:
- The median salary for this position is $40,000 per year and will vary depending on your experience and education
- Vacation, personal and sick time off
- Benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance
- The opportunity to make a real difference with underserved kids at one of the most respected early childhood programs in Austin
- A diverse population of families and staff
- A dynamic and fun place to work
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don't have a cover letter, you won't be considered -- show us you are truly interested in the position!