Our mission is to help families break out of the cycle of poverty. For 76 years, Mainspring Schools has led Austin’s effort to provide quality early childhood education, nutrition and support services to underserved families in the community.
We are a NAEYC-accredited, nonprofit preschool that partners with United Way, AISD, Workforce Solutions, Early Head Start and numerous foundations to make sure that our kids are prepared for kindergarten socially, emotionally and educationally and that their families are in the best position for future success.
We are looking for a well-rounded, proactive Kitchen Manager. This is the perfect position for someone looking for a stable schedule and who would be energized by running a kitchen and preparing meals for disadvantaged kids.
The Kitchen Manager is in charge of providing breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack daily for approximately 100 children and staff. These meals must meet the USDA guidelines for nutrition. We promote a fun, collaborative environment for the sole purpose of helping our children succeed.
Minimum qualifications for this position are:
- Food Manager Certification
- Experience in commercial food planning and preparation
- Knowledge of nutrition
- Enjoyment of preschool children
- Access to a car and possession of a valid Texas driver’s license
- Willingness to participate in ongoing job training
- Ability to read and write English
- Ability to accurately perform simple arithmetic calculations and record-keeping (specifically for CACFP)
- Positive attitude
- Arrive at 6:30 a.m.
- Breakfast 8:00-8:30 a.m.
- First lunch wave: 10:45-11:30 a.m., second lunch wave: 11:30-12:15 a.m.
- Depart for the day between 2-3 p.m.
- Prepared snack served by teachers: 3-3:30 p.m.
- Prepare breakfast
- Prepare lunch
- Prepare afternoon snack
- Complete USDA Meal Production Record for breakfast/lunch/snack
- Record refrigerator and freezer temperatures
- Wipe down and clean kitchen end of day
- Manage part-time Kitchen Assistant
- Plan menu for following week
- Plan and prep menu for weekly Parent Support meeting (coordinate with Family Services Director)
- Prepare HEB shopping list (for items not available through Hardies/Johnson’s Backyard)
- Grocery shop at HEB and Sam’s Club
- Plan menu for monthly Parent Supper (every month except November & December)
- Maintain CACFP (Child and Adult Care Food Program) Binders
- Place orders with Johnson’s Backyard and Hardie’s
- Receive orders from Johnson’s Backyard and Hardie’s
- Work with Brighter Bites reps to incorporate Summer produce into menu
- Maintain list of food and kitchen supplies needed and purchase at ACE Mart
- Communicate concerns and suggestions to Executive Director
- Retain invoices for orders received
- Upon teacher request, collaborate to plan classroom cooking projects
- Share recipes and cooking tips with families
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation ($14-16/hour) and benefits
- The opportunity to make a real difference with underserved kids
- A diverse population of families and staff
- A dynamic and fun place to work (casual dress code, freedom to pursue your passions, etc.)
- A supportive staff
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.